Purpose of the articles posted in the blog is to share knowledge and occurring events for ecology and biodiversity conservation and protection whereas biology will be human’s security. Remember, these are meant to be conversation starters, not mere broadcasts :) so I kindly request and would vastly prefer that you share your comments and thoughts on the blog-version of this Focus on Arts and Ecology (all its past + present + future).

Premium Blogger Themes - Starting From $10
#Post Title #Post Title #Post Title

They led the E.P.A. as Republicans. Now, they’re backing Biden.

By Lisa Friedman, September 9, 2020, The New York Times 


Photo Illustration by The New York Times; Ted S. Warren/Associated Press; Drew Angerer/The New York Times

This week I spoke with Christine Todd Whitman and William K. Reilly, former Environmental Protection Agency administrators who served under Republican presidents and who recently said they were backing Joseph R. Biden Jr., President Trump’s Democratic challenger, in the November election.

The Trump campaign derided their group, Republicans and Independents for Biden, as “has-been politicians,” but the former E.P.A. chiefs brushed off the criticism. They told me they felt strongly that the rule of law, respect for science and action on climate change were on the line in 2020.

Here is a condensed version of our conversations, edited for length.

How much success do you think you can have in convincing Republicans to vote against Trump?

Whitman: Our focus is simply giving some cover to those Republicans and independents who won’t vote for Trump but are reluctant to pull a Democratic lever. We want to send a message that this is a time to put country over party.

Reilly: I think there is significance in staking your principles, so that it can be said that there were people who were not just opposed but who actually stood up and were recognized, and that they were prominent people in the party.

Are you still a Republican?

Whitman: I’m still a registered Republican, yes. I believe in the Republican Party of Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan. I don’t believe, frankly, that Donald Trump is a Republican.

Reilly: This is not a party of principle at the national level so I left it. I am now an Independent. It’s a very discouraging time for someone who was part of the party for so long.

Have you had your conservative credentials questioned?

Whitman: Of course I get some flak. But I think my parents and my grandparents would be cheering me on. I’ve been a Republican all my life and I respect the party. I don’t respect Donald Trump. I deplore what he’s doing to the country.

In what direction do you see the Republican Party moving on climate change?

Whitman: I definitely think there is support for movement on climate change amongst Republicans. Conservation is conservative and there is real potential for economic growth.

Reilly: Over the next four years no matter who the president is, we are going to have to see very significant investments to save communities. I think that will cause the party to at least moderate its hostility toward doing anything about climate.

    Powered By Blogger